Life Guard Training
Held over two weekends (4 days)
April 22 & 23
April 29 & 30
Students must be at least 16 years of age and be able to pass a prerequisite skills evaluation that includes the following:
- Swim 550 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. You may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. You should place your hands under your armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Your face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, either feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10lb object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on your back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object while keeping your face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath.
- You should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve 3 dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4 to 7 feet of water, resurface and continue to swim another 5 yards to complete the skill sequence.
The prerequisite skills evaluation will occur on the first day of the course. Please bring a swimsuit and towel for the skills evaluation and for every class.